Broken Strings

Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:11:07 -0700

Wim en Debby wrote:

> Hi List,
> I read some of the reactions and l thought l could ad something to this. I
> once tuned a piano of a concert pianist. It had a lot of broken strings too.
> In that case it was in the trebble. I never knew how it was possible to
> break so many strings, untill l read Reibeholz' book "  Das regulieren von
> Steinway & Sons klaviermechaniken und deren reparaturen". I found out that
> the strikingpoint of a hammer is very important. When the hammer hits the
> string a little too high or too low from the strikingpoint it can cause
> broken strings (cuz of the false vibrations). (In case of Steinway some have
> a regulationscrew in the right block to adjust the strikingpoint).  Now, l
> dont know if this causes the broken bass strings in the yamaha-piano
> mentioned a couple a days ago  or in the churchpiano's mentioned yesterday
> but l hope I have added something to solve these problems.
> Wim
>
> Wim Vermeyen
> Wim's Piano Service
> wim.vermeyen@advalvas.be

Wim,

Thanks for your comments.  I'm wondering, though, if there is any more
information to go with this observation.

Hammer strike point is such a variable thing.  It varies quite a lot, both
within a given piano and from piano to piano.  And it is so frequently "off" in
Steinway grands -- especially within the 5th and 6th octaves -- I should think
they would be constantly plagued with broken strings, yet they are not.  Even
with their current practice -- in the US, I can't speak for Hamburg built
instruments -- of using fiber reinforced plastic hammers they don't seem to have
many broken string problems.

Regards,

Del