..Conn Strobe Tuner..

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:34:02 EDT

<<
 I tend to agree with Franz Mohr's assessment of the use of ETD's, at least to
 a point.  He always said that he had never met a piano technician that used
an
 ETD (and in his experience, that usually meant a Strobe Tuner) who could
 produce a stable tuning.  He stressed repeatedly in his lectures that a
visual
 aid actually would distract the technician from developing a true feeling and
 sensitivity for what is really required to tune a piano according to a high
 professional standard.

 In my own experience as an Examiner, I have seen it happen far too often for
 my own comfort, not to mention the humiliation that the Examinee must feel,
 that a user of an ETD creates a very passable tuning, only to show afterwards
 that he/she has little idea of what really sounds correct and what does not.
 The ability to perceive and create that which is correct entirely by ear is
 the only skill that merits the use of the title, RPT.

 Bill Bremmer RPT
 Madison, Wisconsin

 I always have said, and I stand by it to this day, that individuals learning
how to tune, should not have an ETD to use until he or she can pass an exam at
the RPT level.  This will according for Franz Mohr allow the feel and proper
hearing that is necessary to please the ear.  After RPT is achieved, then an
ETD is very helpful, but the ear is the final authority.

I service my church piano once a month because of heavy use.  One time when
many of the brethren were working on the stage while I was tuning, one noticed
that I was using a SAT.  I heard him say, "boy I can learn to tune with that!"
One playfully yelled to everyone in the auditorium and said "Dave's cheating!"
All kidding aside, I explained that my aural tuning is computed in the memory
of my machine.  My years of experience is in this memorized tuning.

Pay your dues first, then let the ETD become your best friend, but not your
crutch.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR