Pianos in Cuba and Haiti

John Lozier JLOZIER@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

Dear pianotech folks, I'm not a pianotech but a friend put me on your list
where I have been lurking for a few days, enjoying the conversation.

I wonder if someone can connect me with a pianotech person, I think from
Berkeley, who was featured in a PBS story a few months back.  This guy
takes a string machine to Cuba and goes around putting pianos back into
service.  I gather that the tropical climate is hard on the strings.

I'm interested because I encountered similar problems when I visited Haiti
last year.

I'm a harper myself, not even a pedal harpist but a diatonic style folk
harpist.  I'm personally stuck on natural tuning (God's temperment, no
temperment?) for the harp.  I can "resonate" with the discussion of guitar
temperment, it seems correct to me that a fretted instrument could be
improved by tweaking it in the direction of the intended key.  For that
matter, I have wondered whether a fully chromatic instrument like the piano
could be tweaked in "real time" as the musician was playing it, as the
central tonality or key might shift about.  Maybe this is a topic fo
you experts to chew on.

Well, as you chew on, I will probably unsubscribe soon with no further
remarks, because like so many folks I'm already spending too much time
in cyberspace.

Oh, yes, please, if you can identify the Cuba pianotech, please plink me
privately.

THANKS A MILLION!

John Lozier
harper for harmony