hi-tech castor cup further

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 07:05:04 -0500

Hi Jon P. and Jim H. and all others who are so inclined.
	The oak wood I got was not junk but bought from my Woodcraft store.  I
sliced the oak rip wise into 1&1/8" slices and glued them with
titebond(lots, no glue starving here as I had run out all over the place
nor did I over clamp the conglomeration). So the piece overall was 1&1/8"
thick with the slices between 3/4" and 1" each by 6" square I left in my
clamps 2 days and planed the surfaces level on my planer.  The face grain
of the wood has now become side grain on the top and bottom surfaces.The
grain of the wood rings are not all going in the same way.  When the piano
was placed on it the cup cracked along a glue joint.  I removed the weight
before the crack went all the way through.
	Conclusions I came to.  tite bond is certainly not indestructible.  Side
grain of oak is not as hard as face grain for this application.  Oak dull
cutting tools much faster than poplar.  Having patience is learned easier
when you have more than one project going at the same time.   There are
other things to do.
	I made and stained my third poplar (solid) yesterday and stained all
three.  I went to the WoodCrafts store yesterday and bought some solid
mahogany and solid cherry as well as a bottle of padding lacquers for the
cups.Today that will go on.
	If this trio is successful I will do a set in solid cherry and then
mahogany(what prices>) and then trying a 2 piece horizontal lamination of
mahogany and cherry and see what happens .
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
pianoman@inlink.com
            May I listen as well as I hear.