Bridge Pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 07:12:36 -0500 (CDT)

>One of my clients has an 18 year old Grotrian 7" grand in need of
>restringing partly due to corrosion. Since the bridge pins would have to
>go as well, I'm looking for advice on the best way to remove and replace
>the pins, and any other tips/advice someone with Grotrian experience may
>have concerning restringing.
>
>Vincent Chambers,
>Long Beach, CA.

I don't have a bit of experience with Grotrian, but can offer some general
purpose observatins. First, I see others questioning whether or not the pins
need replaced. If they are corroded or worn, replace them. If you have any
doubt about the wear, pull a few with a pair of pliers. Go for one in octave
6, and maybe one in the high bass, speaking length side. Look closely at the
string contact point with a magnifying glass, or twenty year old eyes -
which ever is at hand. If you see a significant notch worn in the pin, you
probably should replace them. Pull all the old pins with your pliers,
swearing as necessary. In an eighteen year old piano, there shouldn't be
much in the way of bridge repairs and re-notching to be done but, if there
is, now's the time. Then comes more decisions. Personally, I don't like
filing the tops off of new bridge pins. I like the blood I've got, thank
you, and prefer not to spill any more than necessary. My preference is to
drill the holes a little deeper, if necessary, and drive the new pins in to
final height. Yes, I know, they aren't bottomed out in the hole, but I don't
think it really makes a bit of difference. Some folks like to put epoxy or
CA in the hole and follow it with the pin. That works well, is a bit slow
and messy, but has the benefit of getting the stuff down into any invisible
sub-surface cracks in the bridge. Alternately, thin CA applied after the
pins are in works too and is a lot faster, though not as thorough. Also, I
wouldn't replace a given size pin with a larger size unless you need a
bigger stagger angle across the bridge, then I'd drill the holes out to fit.

I'm probably leaving something out, but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet and
that's all I can think of for now.

Ron
 Ron