SAT & RCT

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:30:10 -0400

Jim,

You are absolutely correct.  Although a good tuning above about A3 can be
had with relatively few measurements, below A3 is usually a different
question.  The inharmonicity curve in the bass is discontinuous and
unpredictable.  Worse yet, even if every note in a piano were measured, no
machine now has the capability to select and match the optimum set of
partials in the lower range.  What aural tuning does is not only examine
every note, but examine it in reference to notes above and below it and
determine which partials need to be dealt with.  Unless there have been
some recent advances of which I am unaware, no machines do this.
Interestingly, TuneLab does show all the partial/inharmonicity information,
but leaves the choices to the user.  This intelligence is enlightening, but
is no real help, since the user still does not have the information
necessary to determine which partials to match with which unless he uses
his ears.

Yes, the machines can generate a stretch curve, and yes it will be a pretty
good curve in most areas, but no it will not satisfy a discriminating ear.

Frank Weston