pianotech-digest V1997 #873

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:59:07

Hi Jim,
       Like you I am mainly using Abel's, I like the consistency. I believe
that Ronsons and Issac's are the only quality cold pressed hammers, but the
density seems to be all over the map.
 What you are hearing on the old recordings is a good quality elastic
shoulder on the hammer and less percussion, the tone is warmer with better
harmonic development, I would love for use to get back to the old ways,
where piano hammers had to be 'broken in' before final voicing. Piano
played for 6 months, to compact the felt, then minor reshape.  But these
days instant gratification is the only way to sell pianos!!!!
Regards Roger

At 12:49 AM 6/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>For Roger Jolly,
>
>Your explanation of lanolin in old cold pressed hammers is very
>interesting.  Are there any hammers being made today that still have the
>lanolin in them and not "baked" out?  I would be interested in knowing
>what brands you personally like to use?  I have not been real happy with
>many of the brands available today until I tryed a set of Wally Brook's
>Able Encore lights.  So far, these have been the best I have used.
>
>One more question.  Whenever I hear a piano played in an old movie on
>TV, most of them seem to have a beautiful, singing tone quality I to
>often.  Of course, this is TV.  Am I all wet here or is there something
>to this, perhaps the lanolin in these early hammers?
>
>Thanks
>
>Jim Turner

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.