Tune-off

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:23:17 -0600

The idea here is not that more variables will be thrown in, but to show how useless
the "theoretically correct" computer generated temperaments/tunings are when working
on a poorly scaled piano.  After all, most technicians do a lot of "bread & butter"
work on smaller grands and uprights.  I have never seen a tuning demonstration at a
PTG seminar on anything smaller than 7' & 9' pianos.  Wouldn't it be more helpful to
the normal tuners to see a demonstration on a spinet or console, which is what they
will work on when they get home?

I can count dozens of tuners who were told that stretch charts or FAC or whatever
would help them in their work, only to find out after spending large sums of money
that these claims just are not true.  The same goes for well known concert tuners,
and what they teach at PTG seminars.  How many times have we heard to tune FA at 7
bps?  It works fine on 9' Steinways, but fails miserably on spinets, console, and
studios.

I am quite serious about such a tune-off being very productive.  Wouldn't we all
like to learn what a fine concert tuner does when tuning a less than perfectly
scaled piano?  Wouldn't we also like to see how valid the claims for ETD are when
used in everyday application in tuning smaller grands and verticles?  In other
words, let's get the whole truth out, and dismiss the false claims.