SAT & RCT-Virgil

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:38:55 EDT

<<
 As for the rest of your statement, I agree with you 100%.  I NEVER use an FAC
  program!  You probably know that I tune exclusively Historical Temperaments.
  There are many technicians who do this by applying standard deviations from
  Owen Jorgensen's studies to an FAC program. I could not and would not ever
  trust this.  I use the SAT the way you describe, the direct interval method
  and to store an aurally satisfying tuning.

 My experience as a CTE has taught me just how good an FAC program is.  The
  Examiners these days usually start with an FAC program and correct it by
ear.
  It is always faulty albeit not terribly so.  An examinee using it often aces
  the electronic part.  It comes close enough to the Exam tolerances to
satisfy
  them but it still produces audible inaccuracies.  I would consider a tuning
  done with an FAC program that is not aurally verified and corrected to be
  flawed enough as to be mediocre at best.  Dr. Sanderson has never claimed it
  to be perfect and has always recommendeed aural verification.

 In my admittedly not-so-humble opinion, the FAC program is good in one
  particular instance:  When some red-faced, white-lipped, scowling, left-
hand-
  on-the-hip,  right-hand-index-finger-pointing person insists that you tune
the
  piano after a beautiful Historical Temperament recital, performance or
  demonstration:  >>

I love using the FAC program.  I learned to tune aurally but I do agree that
the FAC needs to be aurally verified.  Some pianos I do not need to do much
readjusment, others I just as soon drop the FAC program and tune aurally. The
main point is to be a good aural tuner and the SAT being a good aid, nut a
crutch.  Of course I like the equal temperament, but that is another story,
Bill.  As to examiners using the FAC, I did not know is was allowable.  In my
CTE experience, the only time I used the SAT for the master tune is to get the
A pitch electronically, shut it off and tune aurally.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR