Inharmonicity in other instruments

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:07:18 -0600

Hi Robert,

I was curious as I have heard that violins do not exhibit *inharmonicity*.
I was, many moons ago a professional freelance classical violinist. I
checked, after Rick Baldassin told me the same thing, some years ago. The
partials are *indeed* sharp, when the instrument is bowed. It may not be
*inharmonicity* as in a struck string--but I would love an explanation.

At 09:38 AM 6/10/98 -0400, you wrote:

>no inharmonicity in instruments that produce a continuous sound
>from continuous excitation, like the violin, the pipe organ, horns,
>woodwinds, and accordians.
>
>One interesting consequence of this analysis is
>that a violin cannot exhibit inharmoncity when it is bowed, but
>it can when it is plucked.
>
>Robert Scott
>Detroit-Windsor Chapter, PTG

Regards, Don