Historical Temperaments

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:16:11 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/98 2:09:44 PM Central Daylight Time, atodd@UH.EDU
writes:

<< Joe,

    The post said beats per "minute", so I just divided by 60. I assume that's
 correct. It confused me for a bit also. :-)

 Avery

 >Bill.
 >Thanks!  Did the post leave out a decimal point?
 >Joe Goss---------- >>

I forwarded the post without comment but is not 106 beats per minute the same
as 10.6 beats per second?

In any case, I have never been able to trust lists of beat speeds with
irrational numbers.  This is why I prefer an "Equal-Beating" type bearing
plan.  In my Equal Beating Victorian, you only have to estimate the first two
notes and even if your estimate is a little fast or slow, it does not
significantly affect the rest of the temperament.  If you are way off, it
won't work out at all and that will be your clue.

  I also have an SAT assisted way of setting up the first two notes (after the
A) that is a prescribed value that depends upon a measurement of
Inharmonicity.  You can use the SAT to measure the 4 pure 4th & 5ths that
occur withthe Direct Interval method.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin