ETD vs aural and the placebo effect

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:40:58 -0400

Gregory Torres wrote:
> I find personally that when comparing a machine tuning with an aural one  I
> found the aural more "sweet". Maybe the ETD tunings are "technically" more
> accurate but I personally will tune aurally when faced with a nice
> instrument and am not pressed for time. JMHO

  In medicine there is the well-known phenomenon of the "placebo effect".
Patients report feeling better just because they think they are
taking medication.  The same thing can happen when we casually
evaluate aural vs. electronic tunings.  Knowing that a piano has
been tuned by one means vs another means ought to disqualify
a person from subjectively evaluating the tuning - especially if
that evaluation is to be used to draw conclusions about the means
used to achieve the tuning.  I'm going to disagree with Obiwan.
"Don't trust your feelings, Luke."

  I'm not saying that aural tunings don't sound more "sweet".
But such claims ought to be explored through a tune-off test,
like the ones with Jim and Virgil, where the listener doesn't
know the means used to tune each piano.

  Here's a more basic question:  Can a highly skilled listener
even _identify_ an electronic vs an aural tuning correctly more
than 80% of the time?  (I am assuming that in both cases, the
best possible tuner is employed.)

Robert Scott
Detroit-Windsor Chapter, PTG