Sweet and Sour - Standing on shoulders

Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:23:45 -0500

'Tis been said...

>> I find personally that when comparing a machine tuning with an aural one  I
>> found the aural more "sweet".

>We should be able to measure the 'sweet' tuning, compare it to the 'dry'
>technically accurate one, and determine what it is that makes the
>'sweet' one better . . . .

I say, "If it feels good, do it."

Comparing these tunings reminds me of "controversy" comparing audio
equipment with tubes vs: transistors or analog vs: digital.

Each has proponents, each has detractors, each are valid.

Whether you do aural ET, aural HT, ETD ET, ETD HT or some amalgam, it
doesn't matter.  Are you and your customer (listeners) happy? Are you called
back for a repeat performance?

Here's another way of comparing these tunings and assessing the significance
of tuning methods: [Variation on blind audition]

1. Team tune a fine piano in a mutually agreeable temperament using ETDs
with aural verification.

2. Record one world class artist playing a variety of styles using high
quality digital AND analog equipment.

3. Play back both versions through same speakers. Don't identify which
version is being played.  ...OR...  Play back only one version twice and
identify them differently.

They'll be perceived differently and each will gain supporters.

What's different? Not the music, playing, temperament, tuning or
recording/playback quality.

The _receptor_!  Perception and expectation are sooooo personal.

So which IS better?

Conrad RPT/A.T.G.

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb