Verdigris on Steinway rails

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:39:59 EDT

<< If I read your explanation correctly, Wim, I'm afraid I can't swallow it.
 The verdigris has to be a reaction of the brass rail itself and the rail
 cloth that covers it.  There's no way that much verdigris creeped
 (overflowed) from the hammer flange center pin and bushing cloth to the
 rail.

 Willing to be corrected by anyone,

 Keith A. McGavern >>

Keith:

If the verdigris was found only on the hammer rail, I would tend to agree with
you.  But I have found the stuff also on the wippen rail, without the cloth.
If it didn't come from the center pins, how did it get there?

Wim