Verdigris on Steinway rails

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:56:10 -0500 (CDT)

>...The verdigris on your rails came from the parrafinized flanges on
>the action rails...
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim, List,

It's a good story from a pretty neat person, but I can't accept your
explanation either, not unless you have some documentation to support this
concept.   :-)

Back to the Navy...there were no paraffined flanges on the brass items I
had to polish daily, sometimes more, to prevent verdigris from developing.
A pretty accelerated example, I admit, but nonetheless, true.

FYI: I have in my possession a 1920 Elburn 44" that has evidence of
verdigris on the ends of the center pins.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731