Fundamentals

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:51:31 -0400

List and Bob,

The fact is that there's not too much fundamental to measure in the bottom
1 1/2 octaves of any piano.  Using TuneLab, the lowest fundamental I've
been able to detect on any good piano is C1, and the consistently
detectable range starts at about F1.  A usable fundamental for tuning
probably does not occur much before C3 in most pianos.  If the low bass is
a little thin, the problem is almost assuredly not the lack of
fundamentals.

Frank Weston

----------
From: Unknown <rls@ncinter.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Fundamentals
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 10:03 PM

Dear list,
     This Sunday at our local chapter meeting we employed an RCT to analyze
the partials in the low bass on my 1911 S & S "O".  The graph showed
absolutely no fundamental on the lowest 1 1/2 octaves.  One of our members
who works at the local Story & Clark factory suggested that there might be
a problem with the downbearing at the back side of the bass bridge.  Keep
in mind that this piano had a new board and bridges installed by New York
Piano Center 3 years ago.  I always felt the low bass was very thin
sounding.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Sadowski
Erie, PA