Verdigris on Steinway rails

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:51:02 EDT

<< Leave out the rail cloth and rephrase my comment to coincide with the
 dictionary's meaning for verdigris: A green patina or crust of copper
 sulfate or copper chloride formed on copper, brass, and bronze exposed to
 air or seawater for long periods of time.

 When I was in the Navy, we shined brass everyday to keep verdigris from
 becoming a problem.  That was just exposure to air.  It is still my
 position that verdigris on the brass rails doesn't get there by creeping or
 overflowing from the flange center pins.

 Keith A. McGavern >>

This is information I didn't know. But if this is a problem with brass rails,
then why doesn't verdigris appear on every Steinway, new or old?

Since I don't see very many Steinways from areas around the oceans, is this a
problem in Florida, or Texas?

Wim