Fundamentals

Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:27:07 -0700

Frank Weston wrote:

> List and Bob,
>
> The fact is that there's not too much fundamental to measure in the bottom
> 1 1/2 octaves of any piano.  Using TuneLab, the lowest fundamental I've
> been able to detect on any good piano is C1, and the consistently
> detectable range starts at about F1.  A usable fundamental for tuning
> probably does not occur much before C3 in most pianos.  If the low bass is
> a little thin, the problem is almost assuredly not the lack of fundamentals.
>
> Frank Weston

Actually, the problem is the lack of fundamentals. Within the wave envelope, it
is the energy at the fundamental frequency that audibly anchors the note and
gives it body. If there is little or no energy in the fundamental all the ear
gets are the harmonics and the brain has to make its best guess at the
fundamental. It's pretty good at doing this, but the result is not the same as
actually hearing it. Without at least some clear energy at the fundamental
frequency the sound will be interpreted as being "thin" or "weak" or "muddy" or
any of those other nice words we use to describe a short, tubby bass section
that we don't particularly like to tune. Or listen to, for that matter.

Del