"Bosendorfer Bass/Tenor Break"

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:28:00 -0400

Hi Dale,

I think we can assume this piano left the factory 'perfect'.  Something
has happened to make this piano sound less than 'perfect'.

First I would check the bridge, bearing, sound board for cracks, ribs
and rim for poor glue joints.

Lightly tap the strings down onto the bridge, use an upright shank and a
light tool (diagonal center pin cutters).  The bridges are beech which
is softer than maple.

Next check the spacing of the hammers to the strings, the hammers
themselves for filing then check the level of the strings by lift the
hammer with a hook to the strings and plucking each to see if one is
muted more than the others.  Shape the hammer to fit the strings.

Check that the dampers are properly timed and the hammer is not hitting
the trichord wedge before hitting the strings.

If the problem persists change a couple of hammers around to eliminate
hammers as source.  Check the pinning and  glue joints when you have the
shanks in your hands.  Tight pinning can cause tonal changes.  If it
does then we have to get out in left field to find the problem.

Let us all know.

                        Newton
                        nhunt@jagat.com