No partials in lowest 1 1/2 octaves?

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:55:13 -0700

Regarding fundamental in the low octaves -

While it's true that the fundamental isn't very strong in the low bass
of most pianos, one interesting thing I have found is that sometimes
physical coupling of the microphone to the piano helps. Using TuneLab,
try changing from external mic to internal with the computer sitting on
the bass/tenor plate strut.  In my experimenting I found the internal
mic works better, because the whole laptop is being vibrated at the
lower frequencies.  The external mic is very nice for the treble,
though.

In the Lincolnton Kawai factory, we found that the bass section reads
best with a larger microphone (designed for singing) laid down on the
keys. Same effect. Pick up the mic off the keys, and the lower
frequencies don't read so well.

I also tried clipping my lapel microphone directly to the bridge pins.
Didn't get so much of a difference that way - but I only tried it once,
briefly.

Don Mannino

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available