pianotech-digest V1997 #917

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:10:03 -0500

Someone mentioned the other day about using lanolin on modern hammers.
This got me to thinking, so I went out and bought a bottle of pure
lanolin, so I can experiment with it on old reshaped hammers.  I got a 4
oz bottle at my local health food store for $4.50.  I am wondering if
this might be better to use for softening hard hammers instead of using
fabric softner?  My first experiment has shown me that it does work.
Maybe chemist Earl Dunlap can share some thoughts on this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why old hammers become hard with age?
Besides using lacquer and sometimes shellac, was anything else used to
voice hammers in older
 pianos?

Thanx
Jim Turner