becket breaker

PDtek@aol.com PDtek@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:43:54 EDT

>  This tool is shown on page 24 of American Piano Supply's CAtalog #96, which
>  I'm sure they would send you on request (Box 1068, Clifton NJ 07014-1068).
>
>  It's a steel cylinder about the same length as a pin-driving punch or a
>  bushing setting tool, but hollow for part of its length, so that it slides
>  over the tuning pin and a tap on the tool pushes it against the coil so
that
>  the becket is broken.

Schaff also sells them (page 20 of the tool catalog). They work great.It is
important though, on each pin to locate the becket and to lean the breaker
against the side of the pin where the becket is with some presure so it will
shear off cleanly. Also if you don't do this, many times the breaker will be
driven down over the coil where it will wedge itself in place very tightly.

Dave Bunch