Tuner Puzzle ( NON TECHNICAL)

Marcel Carey carey.marcel@qc.aira.com
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:44:53 -0400

Message en plusieurs parties et au format MIME.

Robert was given 18/36 of the total tuning hammers, Richard was given 12/36,
and,Roger got 4/36. Now if you total this, you get 34/36. That's why, by
adding one tuning hammer and doing dividing it, there are 2 left.

Marcel Carey
    -----Message d'origine-----
    De : Rogerio Cunha <rogeriocunha@openlink.com.br>
    À : Pianotech Mensagem <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date : 26 juin, 1998 17:33
    Objet : Tuner Puzzle ( NON TECHNICAL)

    This is adapted to tuner from a Mathematical book.
    An old tuner who had 35 tuning hammers died. In his will he left 35
tuning hammers to three boys who were studying with him. In his will he said
that Robert was to receive half of the tuning hammers; Richard was to
receive 1/3 of the tuning hammers, and Roger was to receive 1/9 of the
tuning hammers

    The 3 boys had a big problem: how to cut the tuning hammers in pieces in
order to fulfill the terms of the will.
    Let's see: 35/2= 17.5 ; 35/3= 11.66667 ; 35/9=3.8888

    Just then two tuners dropped in to visit them: Bob, an old RPT, and Job
a tuner who had his tuning kit and all his tools with him.

    Bob tried to help the boys and said to Job, "Job, please, give me your
tuning hammer."Job said, "What for? What you want to do with it?". Bob said,
"Give it to me and I will solve the boy's problem".

    Job gave the tuning hammer to Bob, and Bob added it to the other 35, so
now there were 36 tuning hammers.

    Bob gave half of them to Robert. Very good! Robert was happy because he
got 18 of them, instead of 17.5.

    Then Bob gave 12 tuning hammers to Richard, who liked that better than
receiving 11.66667.

    Bob gave 4 tuning hammers to Roger, who decided that four was more than
3.888.

    Let's see: 18 + 12 + 4 = 34

    Bob gave Job back his tuning hammer, and still had one to keep for
himself!

    Rogerio Cunha - IC Member of the Guild - Rio de Janeiro