breaking strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:42:40 -0400

Friends:

OK, so this piano is nothing special, for sure.  1956 K & C console.
But when I went to tune it today, 3 (yes, that's THREE!)  single wound
bass strings tore!  I was fit to be tied!  I HATE hearing them things go
bang like that!

One string was knotted by a previous tuner, and I had replaced one four
years ago.  What is going on here?  No rust or anything, was tuned in
92, 93, 94, 96 and now 98, always in October.  Any ideas?  I'm afraid to
touch the thing again.  One other oddity, if it's a clue; it's always
10-15 cents flat, unusual for a piano this age even if it IS tuned only
every two years.

Clyde Hollinger