VTD tune-off [long]

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:22:36 -0500

>...What differences there may be would be so
>small that it would not be discernable. I predicted the same before Virgil
>and I went after it. Then, there would always be the arguments that, it
>wasn't the machine, it was the operator. Well, it would at least make for
>a lot of conversation. There wouldn't be a dime's worth of difference.
>Kinda' like the difference between Republicans and Democrats who spend a
>lot of agitation over whose ox is being gored; they both equally want
>your money and power.
>
>Jim Coleman, sr.

The fact is that the particular VTD being used may make a substantial
difference in the quality of the tuning of a given piano. It would be
interesting to see if that difference would be substantial _enough_ to
make a difference in the outcome of a tune-off. VTD's vary greatly in
their tuning calculator functions; when one speaks of comparing the
tuning capabilities of SAT and RCT, for example, one is, for the most
part, speaking of the differences between the SAT's FAC and RCT's
Chameleon 2.

RCT's Chameleon, as good as it has been now for some time, is still in a
constant state of development and can be incrementally improved as new
discoveries are made that can improve its performance. The FAC of the SAT
III is apparently mostly unchanged from the SAT II, adding only the
ability to widen/narrow the 88 note tuning as a whole. (RCT's Chameleon
allows any octave within the 88 note tuning to be widened/narrowed
individually.)

An example of a specific SAT/FAC tuning problem follows:

A goodly portion of my career during the past few years has been the
servicing of a single piano, a Yamaha G1R, in a jazz club. The G1R is a
5' 3" grand with plain-wire all the way down to B2. The tenor break is
horrendous. How do I know this? Here are the RCT Pianalyzer numbers which
document the inharmonicity of the highest wound string and the lowest
plain-wire string, the two notes on either side of the break:

A#2                     B2
12th ptl = 20.7 cents   12th ptl = 46.6 cents
10th ptl = 15.9 cents   10th ptl = 33.0 cents
 8th ptl = 10.8 cents    8th ptl = 22.4 cents
 7th ptl =  8.6 cents    7th ptl = 17.4 cents
 6th ptl =  7.2 cents    6th ptl = 13.5 cents
 5th ptl =  6.2 cents    5th ptl =  9.9 cents
 4th ptl =  6.1 cents    4th ptl =  8.4 cents
 3rd ptl =  4.1 cents    3rd ptl =  5.5 cents
 2nd ptl =  1.8 cents    2nd ptl =  0.2 cents
 1st ptl =    0 cents    1st ptl =    0 cents

Wildly high inharmonicity on B2, and relatively low inharmonicity on the
A#2 right next to it! I am not picking on Yamaha; as a matter of fact, I
strongly recommend Yamahas to my customers. (Two of my customers bought a
C1 and a C2 respectively during this past summer on my recommendation.
OK?) But there are some scaling, uh, weaknesses in the small Yamaha
grands which I am familiar with because I tune so many of them. The tenor
break in the current production GH1, which also has a plain-wire B2, is
as bad as any piano that is commonly seen by tuners, hence my comment a
few days ago that using GH1's for a tune-off would "tell the tale."

I have been tuning the jazz club G1R since before RCT and this piano
(with a few others that are similar) is the reason that I "outgrew" FAC.
FAC tunes B2 at its 6th partial. A quick comparison of the two 6th
partial readings above will suggest that there may be a problem if both
of these notes are tuned from the curve drawn through the 6th partials.
The high inharmonicity of B2's 6th partial would leave the 5th, 4th, 3rd,
and 2nd partials too flat. Way back when, I tweaked the tuning of B2 and
saved it, and I still have that tuning in my SAT. I find, looking at the
tuning now, that I had to raise B2 5.5 cents away from the FAC reading,
which means, as far as I am concerned, FAC made a gross tuning error on
this one note. (The scaling may be gross too but that is another matter.)

RCT's Chameleon 2, on the other hand, tunes B2 from the 3rd partial and,
as calculated for this same G1R, the RCT-calculated reading for B2 is
about the same as in my _aurally corrected_ FAC tuning. In other words,
where FAC makes a gross tuning error, Ch2 makes no error at all. Tuning
and taking measurements of the lowest plain-wire strings on a piano like
this are very difficult. The strings exhibit remarkable instability.
However, FAC's error on B2 on this piano and on current production GH1's
appears to be in the area of 5-8 cents.

I have been preaching the benefits of tuning the tenor plain-wire strings
from the 3rd partial as RCT can do. Here is a review of those benefits:

There often is aberrantly high inharmonicity in the lowest plain-wire
strings, often associated with a hockey-stick shape of the tenor end of
the long bridge and the resulting short speaking length of these lowest
plain-wire strings.
Tuning these strings from the non-octave 3rd partial in the tenor
_automatically_ splits any "unanticipated" inharmonicity between the 2:1
and 4:2 octaves. In other words the octave is automatically compromised
between two important sets of coincident partial pairs.
Tuning the lowest plain-wire strings from the 3rd partial will mean that
the 3:2 fifths formed between these strings and the notes above will be
clean. (If they are tuned from the 4th or 6th partial, the third partial
may be flat and the fifth formed above the note may be expanded instead
of contracted.)
The most common way of tuning octaves in the bass is with the 6:3
relationship. If the bass notes are tuned at the 6th partial as is common
in RCT, and the plain-wire strings are tuned at the 3rd partial as they
can be with RCT, then the important 6:3 relationship will be preserved by
direct-interval tuning even when the inharmonicity is unexpectedly high
in the lowest plain-wire strings.

I am not anti-SAT by any means. But FAC makes an error in the specific
situation of the B2 of some current model pianos. The error is the
unfortunate result of FAC's tuning the bass notes up through B2 from the
6th partial, and some piano's plain-wire high-inharmonicity tenor
extending down to B2. An SAT work-around is in order and I believe that
there is one. This workaround has been suggested by my experiences with
RCT. (Yes, I am suggesting that knowledge gained from RCT can help SAT
tuners.)
Let's assume that one tunes up from A0 chromatically to C8. As mentioned,
FAC tunes the bass notes from the 6th partial. If one suspects that there
may be high inharmonicity in the lowest plain-wire strings as in the B2
described above, when the tuner has tuned up through the wound strings,
one could first tune B2 to its normal FAC reading, then hit the Octave
Down button. The 6th partial "octave-down" reading will be at the _3rd_
partial of B2; if the display is spinning "flat" when reading B2 at the
B1 reading, that means that the 6:3 octave is contracted by the amount
indicated by the rate of spin. We usually expect this 6:3 octave to be
stretched. One could raise the plain-wire string until the 6:3 is
slightly stretched, perhaps matching the spin-rate difference between
B1-B2 to the spin difference of the next door A#1-A#2. Such a procedure
(that is, tuning B2 just slightly sharp of the B1 reading) might allow
SAT tuners some of RCT's benefits of using the 3rd partial in the tenor.

Although it might be preferable just to go ahead and buy RCT.   <big
grin!>

Thanks for reading,

Kent Swafford