Get the Lead out

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:36:27 -0700

Rob,
The inertia IS dependent on the distance from the pivot,
BUT...

A friend of my did some calculations and measurements on the "total" inertia
of the key/wippen/shank/hammer system.  Because of the mechanical advantage
of the key, it has the least effect on the inertial loading you would feel
when pressing the key.  The hammer mass has the most.  Just try adding some
of the hammer shank weights to your test piano and compare the difference
you feel with the key weight experiment you already did.  I think you will
find that although you can adjust things to that the upweight and downweight
end up "in the zone", the feel will be dramatically different.

doug richards
San Jose, CA