Keyweights and moment of inertia

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:34:19 -0500

Rob, Robert, List

> Also, does anyone
> make a device that measures total moment of inertia?
>
> Bob Scott

The question is can moment of intertia be measured? If so, so what?  This
is where I get stalled in physics. Newton says that force equals mass
times acceleration. Now  another law Newton came up with says that a
body (mass) in motion will keep that same motion unless acted on by other
forces.
But here acceleration is zero, so does that mean a body in motion has no
force?
	But where I flunk out in physics is asking the question "if a body in
motion has no acceleration, then what happens to the formula f=ma ?"  (a =
0 )  From that I suppose there is a formula that should read x=mv.  here m
= mass and v = velocity, but what then is x  ?

	So to put it in perspective,  I would suggest to forget about the "laws"
of "moment of interia" as far as piano technology is concerned. Where ever
the weight is placed on the key, I suspect these "laws" would predict an
effect close to zero.   As far as the player is concerned and how the key
pressing down to him feels...what counts more, the praise of the player,
or the plaudits of physisysts?

Ricisyst
..