Piano climbs Pike's Peak

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 12:55:16 -0600

I just received my October issue of the MUSIC TRADES. On page 58 there is a rather
amusing story about a piano retailer/moving company in Colorado Springs who, as a
publicity stunt, pushed a Steinway upright to the top of Pike's Peak, elevation
14,100 feet. Apparently the company wanted to back up their claim that "We can
move a piano anywhere...".  After two previous failed attempts due to snow drifts
the goal was finally reached on Sunday, May 28th along with a host of volunteer
piano pushers. A specially designed dolly was used featuring eight 10-inch tires.
The Guinness book of records is considering this for entry in their book.

I can't help but wonder what the tuning must have sounded like at the top!  I am
reminded of the Laurel and Hardy episode "Music Box" in which they, as piano
movers, push a piano up an enormous flight of stairs to a wealthy snobs house in
Beverly Hills..

Rob Goodale, RPT