Business Software Responses Gateway

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:47:50 -0600

Hi Jory,
I have a Gateway tower 200megHz  with Crystal Scan 17" monitor since Jan,
98.  Absolutely no problems whateso ever
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano Peripherals in
St. Louis, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: Jory A. Olson <jory@teleport.com>
To: 'pianotech@ptg.org' <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Sunday, October 25, 1998 2:02 PM
Subject: Business Software Responses

>Dave, I think you're comparing the Dell consumer line to the Gateway
professional line.  If you're buying a 400 or 450 MHz machine, both Gateway
and Dell will have what you're calling non-integrated solutions.

>About a year ago I purchased a new Dell D300 for $3500 (128 Meg RAM, 8.4
Gbyte hard disk, Internal ZIP drive, graphics acceleration, etc).  This same
system is now on sale at Dell for $1995.  With the high-technology industry
in decline, Christmas coming, recent price reductions announced by Intel, it
is an excellent time to purchase a new computer if you happen to need one.
This past week Intel announced a price reduction on some PII chips from $270
to $190.  Gateway and Dell, due to their "build-to-order" philosophy will be
the first to be able to take advantage of this price reduction.

>One thing I would warn everybody about.  Gateway systems, and their
monitors in particular are not as reliable as Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.  My
employer purchases Gateway systems.  I've been through no less than 4
monitors in the past 5 years.  One went up in flames!  I would avoid Gateway
Crystal Scan monitors with a vengeance.  The Vivitron (Trinitron) Gateway
monitors are better, but not great.  I would also avoid Gateway machines
with the Western Digital disk drives.  In the electrical engineering
department we had 6 out of 17 new systems crash with hard disk failures.
Admittedly, engineering CAD programs can be hard on the disk drive, but this
is ridiculous.  See Consumer's Report latest computer ratings before you
buy.  Their ratings mirror my experience closely.

>I could have got a Gateway system through my employer and they would have
given me $500 to offset the cost.  I bought a Dell instead, because of the
problems I've seen with the Gateway machines.  Another thing I dislike about
Gateway's is the Soundscape sound card.  Few of my video games work well
with this card, and my MIDI keyboard doesn't like it much either.  My Dell
system came with a Soundblaster sound card.  If you're using the soundcard
for something other than beeps, and .WAV files, I suggest you consider an
upgrade from the Soundscape card.

>I have no money invested in either company.  I work in the industry.  I
personally bought a Dell and have been happy.

>The best "tip" I can give new computer buyer's is to buy more RAM than you
think you'll need.  RAM is cheap and can partially offset slowness in the
processor and disk drive.  If there's enough space to keep information in
RAM then the computer doesn't have to go and get it off the disk drive.
Since most programs a piano technicians uses are not computationally
intensive, the biggest time savings comes from not having to go to disk for
new information.  More memory also allows you to leave a bunch of programs
up and running all the time so you can quickly switch between email, the
web, word processing, and the football game.  I suggest 64 Mbytes as a
minimum for a new system.  I also believe the new Universal Serial Bus (USB)
is a must on a system to intend to keep for 2-5 years.  In a few years the
serial port, mouse port, parallel port, and such will be gone.

>One more tip....The new 400 and 450 machines have a 100 MHz internal bus.
Older machines, regardless of the processor speed, had a 66 MHz internal
bus.  This will make a HUGH difference (1/3 increase) in speed.  The PII
machines of 300 MHz or more have the new Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP)
interface for your video card.  If you enjoy video games you need AGP.

>Jory
>_____________________
>

>Larry,
>
>I believe in your first post you had mentioned purchasing a Dell computer.
I thought I would at least throw another suggestion your way.  My wife is
the head PC administrator for Seagate (the hard drive company) therefore
giving me alot of "insider" information on companies, policies, quality and
the like.  You may (just a suggestion) want to check out Gateway.  The
primary difference between these two machines is the use of "integrated"
boards.  Most of the PC's sold in retail outlets like Compac or HP use
integrated boards...meaning that when wanting to upgrade or add peripherials
(sp?) it can be a difficult match as a result of the propriatory nature of
the systems.  In some cases you won't have the luxury of going to a local
"Best Buy" and purchasing additional RAM and plugging it in.  Gateway uses
non-integrated boards allowing for lots of "plug and play" additions such as
video cards, soundblaster cards, scanners, etc.  The Gateways systems
generally are configured with!
> 1 asa slot and 4 pci slots, plus the RAM capabilities are great!
>My current system is a 300mhz, 64 mg RAM (expandable to 364...that's alot
of resident memory), 6.5 hard drive, 56k modem, soundblaster, 8 mg video
card, scanner, sound system (extremely modified..JBL), laser printer and Zip
drive with CD.  This system can be upgraded with many more things as well as
2 more hard drives if desired.
>Now you can obtain a 400 mhz or 450 mhz with even yet more capabilities for
the same price (actually lower than what I paid in March).
>Like any tool used in our self employment venture, quality remains
paramount.  Versatility, reliability, and craftsmanship must remain high
priority regarding our decisions.