STOLEN ACCUTUNER AND TOOLS

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:55:14 EST

Mr. Brannin wrote:

<<Thieves broke my window and stole my entire tool box including my

Accutuner Serial Number 1114. >>

I sincerely hope you get everything  back, though it is unlikely. You might
tell the company about the theft, in case the it gets sent in for repairs or
calibration in a year or two.

To help, perhaps, deter other SATs from going south, let me describe a
security box I carry in the back of my pickup, which has a full coverage,
lockable, camper shell.

For three bucks I bought a lightweight steel "map (or) plans cabinet", which
is 15" by 15" by 32".    It had a bunch of cardboard dividers that made tubes
into which rolled plans are stored, was very thin steel, and had a piano
hinged door.  I ripped out the tubes, put a hasp on the door, and I put my
tool case inside and lock the box with a chain to a ring in the bed of the
truck on rare occasions when I just have to leave the tuning kit alone for a
while. ( I am very protective of my SAT and tools and almost never leave them
alone in the car.) The whole thing weighs perhaps 5 pounds or less, and is
easily lifted out and left at home.

It also comes in handy for cameras, purses, purchases, etc.  It is that extra
little bit of security, beyond a broken pane of glass, that deters anyone from
going for it, and since they cannot see inside, it isn't so tempting.  It
doesn't need to resist a torch, just a smash and grab!

I made a similar, much smaller, box with lock and chain, to take on a
Caribbean vacation.  On beaches I looped the chain around a palm tree and
locked cameras and wallets inside, and looped it around a railing to secure
like items in the hotel when we went out. Never lost anything, never worried
about theft, never around carried a bunch of stuff just to protect it from
theft.

Similar devices could be made from metal single drawer file cabinets, or a
tool box slightly larger than your tuning case, etc.

Hope the idea comes in handy to someone.

Bill Simon
Phoenix