Restringing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:12:36 EST

<< Hi folks, I was wondering  about how to tell when treble strings have lived
 their useful lives
 and is now time to replace them. I find it very obvious in the bass strings
 when you hear
 that dull tubby sound but I am not always sure about the treble other than
 going with old
 age and really worn hammers. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
 John Pengelly
 Nelson, B.C. >>

It is my opinion that treble strings do not need to be replaced because they
have outlived their usefull lives, as long as they haven't broken yet. Of
course, that is when you can tell when they have outlives their useful life,
and as far as I know, there is no way of knowing exactly when that happens,
until you put the tuning hammer on the pin, and try to tune the string. And no
matter how many times a string has broken on me, it is still a schock to the
system.

Willem Blees