Rachmaninoff in ET???

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:50:19 EST

Les Smith writes:

<<He played a bit
and then stopped abruptly and peered in at the strings, distastefully.
He then whispered something to Bill, while pointing at the piano, and Bill
immediately retuned the note in question. The final judge as to whether or
not the note was in tune was not Bill, it was Rachmaninoff.>>

Was it ET before Rachmaninoff intervened or after?  Or was it *more* ET when
Sergei said it was right?

Then, with contrite erudition, he states,

<<(Hey, pal, so much for that pile
of bill-bull about Romantic Era composers writing quiet, serene pieces,
"filled with p's, pp's, ppp's and even more when writing in the foreign
keys.")>>

I guess if Les says these composers didn't do this then we have to take his
word for it.  When the head of any pecking order pecks, then you've just got
to back off or you'll be pecked again.  Please don't check any of your 19th
Century literature.  You cannot argue with whatever those who only want ET
think.  *They* are right now, always have been and always will be.

I assume too that if the piano had been tuned in a, God forbid, HT, the
intensity of the musical moment that Les spoke of would have been just a
little *too* intense.  Therefore, we *need* ET to moderate it.

Take it from the one who knows, folks, he's been here since the days of the
"real tuners".  They all *know* about those HT's but as everyone already knows
without it being written anywhere:  No one ever tunes anything but ET, except
when the artist points out the note he wants to be *more* ET.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin