Loose Plate bolts = ? once more

MMiccio@aol.com MMiccio@aol.com
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:43:27 EDT

(Nossaman)
 > Was it a S&S D...Next question, is the observable cumulative damage
resulting in keeping the lags snug worth the "ever so slight" improvement?
With possible exceptions I'd still say generally not.<

(Foote)
>>        That *observable cumulative damage* needn't be there.  Whether
damage
 is done mainly depends on when the bolts are checked.  If plate bolts are
kept
 snug by checking during the summer, (high-humidity) months, they don't
exhibit
 the continual creep that ultimately results in stripped threads...

     If the bolts won't turn in summer, they are (IMHO) tight enough. >>

Ron,  this was a Yamaha CFIII and I could go along with Ed Foote's summation
excepting for the obvious situations.

Regards,

Mike Miccio