PTG, to join or not to join ? reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 06:51:52 -0500

Hi Bob,
IMHO.
In any organization or any relationships that are givers and takers.  In
the beginning we are all takers but as we mature the sprit of giving
usually overtakes the spirit of taking.  In the 80's I trained a fellow to
tune.  He was in the bicycle business and was retiring from it.  He had
been a taker all his life.  I thought I could change him.  I let him work
with me 6 months every day with me on my calls and in the shop.  I did not
charge him for training nor did he ever volunteer to pay.  He turned out to
be a fair tuner.  He never tried to upgrade to RPT.  He never helped to do
the record keeping.  In the end I was letting him do some of my work.  At
the end I felt I was competing with him for my own clients.  Finally I gave
him about 50 of my clients to part the relationship.  He was, remained and
still is a taker, not a giver.  We talk occasionally but that is all.
	After you take, please give back.  It makes a difference not only to you
but those who have helped you along the way. Thank you  for listening.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.
Competent Service since 1962
 Do what is right and do no harm
         Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
pianoman@inlink.com

----------
> From: Hite, Bob <bhite@dmci.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: PTG, to join or not to join ?
> Date: Thursday, September 03, 1998 9:35 PM
>
> Pianotech List:
>
> I am a hobbyist.  I love working on pianos.  I am working on my second
rebuild.
> Over the last two and a half years, I have utilized the services of two
> professional technicians, one an associate, the other, a RPT.  Both have
suggested
> that I join their chapter of the PTG.  No pressure, just a suggestion.
Clearly