Yamha Ivorite Keytops

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:08:53 -0400

Gina,
I realized the day of the week after I posted the request.
I purchased the piano out of estate sale but I do know who the
original owner was if I wanted to be devious about it.

It's probably out of warranty, the serial # 4090882.
Is there a website to check dates?

It is a real honey, although I had referred the tuning to someone
else I was there for the opening whistle for the sale.
I arrived at the place 15 minutes prior to the 8"00 opening.
I was at the end of a sixty foot line and by the time 8:00 came
around, it was equally long behind me.

This was a restaurant/inn establishment, everything went fast.
I made a bee line to the Yamaha and found one of the workers
who directed me to another guy in the other room. I buzzed over there
and cornered him. fortunately no one was looking at the piano during this.

We went to the piano, I lifted the vinyl cover to lift the fallboard and
pluncked a few keys,  just as I remembered. A real honey. I asked how much,
6k, without hestiation I said, "I'll take it". I didn't want to get into a
bidding war.
I'm sure he would not take a reduction in the first 5 minutes of the sale.

There were 2 other pianos, I passed on the Baldwin R with buzzing bass
strings but bought the Wurl cons. for $750. I got him down from 1k.
 Returning later to retrieve my goodies, the Baldwin had been sold (I was
going to offer 1500 to 2k, not the 4k they were asking; it went for 3.5k)
and they asked I I'd deliver it for them. No problem.

The Yamaha had a custom fit smoked glass top for the front and back.
Not a scratch on them, the sides have a few minor chair marks, no problem.

So that's what I did yesterday, lost track of what day of the week it was.
Now, it's like getting a whole day; free :-)

So the only thing this needs is to file the hammers and change the keytops.
I may trade it to the Cape Cod Conservatory for a long scale S&S A which
needs restringing and action replacement :-).

Jon, the happy camper