In defense of TAR (Was S&S retrofit rails ?)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:27:05 -0400

At 10:58 PM 9/12/98 EDT, you wrote:
<snip>
>  The singular outstanding characteristic I find in the TAR system is the
>"inherent stability" of the system.....by stability I 'don't' mean
>flexing.....I mean warping/changing dimensions/rail screws loosening/rails
>shifting positions.  As aggravating as these dillys are sometimes, at least
>they are consistent from one visit to the next and that counts for lots in my
>register........of course that's just my opinion.  (but isn't this satbility
>the very thing that ole Theodore was hunting for??)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

How about the brackets which have a front flange which secures
the wippen rail solidly into position, not relying solely on the one bolt
going thru an oblong slot in the rail.
On an action with only that one bolt, once the action spread were established,
a hole could be drilled thru the rail and into the bracket whereby a pin
could be
inserted and curtail future spread alterations.

Brackets which have a notch on the wippen rail rest and a corresponding notch
on the rail could help to lock it in place.

There, I've just come up with two ways to secure the rail.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)