advice

Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:55:53 -0500 (CDT)

Leslie,

> , using three school pianos (a 7' Young Chang,  two Yamaha
>P22's) and a rented "grand" -no make at this time.

Even you have all the time in the world, getting that menagerie to sound
seamless together is tilting at windmills.  Best hope is to get them to 440
and their individual best.

>BUT...........
>The REVEREND has already complained about my taking four hours to tune
>because they have to pay rent on the auditorium during all time it's "in
>use", so probably doesn't even imagine paying full price for four
>tunings, and probably can't understand why a moved piano won't stay tuned
>the very next day.

Clergy sometimes have a hard time relating to places for which much work is
_not_ donated... they rather expect free/reduced fee services wherever they are.

Sounds like the Revered End needs to be placed at the bottom end of a
learning curve on "WHY PIANOS GO OUT OF TUNE".

I smell a situation approaching which _could_ make everyone unhappy, if the
Rev. and others don't understand that the logistics of
moving/tuning/prepping multiple pianos for a concert is more complicated
than moving and filling a baptismal font.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

       Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Digitally Activated Biopowered Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."