Kranich and Bach Plate Crack

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:29:13

Ric and I traded comments:

>> You haven't been cheating, have you, and getting some of these details
>from
>> the incredible "King" upright?
>
>King, never heard of it.

Rejoice thereat.

>> Okay, list, maybe someone can tell me: Have any of you come across any
>> piano with a name suggestive of royalty or named after a composer that
>was
>> fit for any musical endeavor at however elementary a level?
>
>Ahem, there is the Monarch,

True, though it isn't up to the Crown .... nowhere near, in fact.

>I was told they were rated highest to lowest, Ellington,
>Hamilton, Howard, Monarch, and another.

Where does Acrosonic fit into this lineup?

>>or named after a composer that was
>
>I have just hauled home a Schuman upright, which I think had promise,
>(Having survived a stint in the Lake Andes SD resort and then stored in a
>chicken coop.) Or at least the pressure bars did,(massive)  which were
>removed, but the client found them, for some reason she took them off, but
>I didn't dig for detail on this.... yet.  I am not familiar with the
>Schuman,  if anyone has is and wants to say how great it is  I would like
>to hear....

I've tuned a few, and any traumas encountered were not severe enough to
register. I think Schumann might be considered an exception to my rule of
thumb.

Do three exceptions invalidate the rule? [probably ...] But the King makes
up for them! Never saw an old full-sized upright that was such a hunka
junk! The more I worked on it the more I found to dislike.

One might consider another tentative principle: any piano of the vertical
persuasion that has "grand" in its name (other than as "cabinet grand" or
"upright grand" near its name) would be more accurately named "Liar."
Remember the Grand spinet, with the "artist console" decal? and the
Melodigrand miniature?

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651