What would you do?-another option

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:26:06 +0100

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 11/30/99 5:01:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> ulrich@rangenet.com (Roy Ulrich) writes:
>
> << Maybe an ex Kimball employee would
>  be good in pointing out what NOT to do. >>
>
> As a matter of fact, Roger Weisensteiner RPT who used to be the head honcho
> at Kimball has that very idea and expertise in mind.  He knows about all the
> mistakes that have been made and has been an active consultant to the Chinese
> piano manufacturing industry.

Hmmm... I wonder how many such companies would still be open for buisness today
had there been independent quality approval systems in place 50 years ago ???
Kimball's demise was in no small degree caused by the pressure of inexpensive (as
in dirt cheap) substandard instruments, and by less expensive bottom of the
acceptable line instruments. If the former had been pushed back out of the
market.. perhaps Kimball would have been able to adjust... survive... and
eventually thrive again ??

> Another option occurred to me today and it is past experience.  Let's say
> that this piano is unreturnable and needs the CA glue treatment.  Some have
> suggested that any CA glue treatment is substandard.  I cannot agree although
> I understand the opinion.  It is the idea that this is a "Band-Aid" or
> "Scotch Tape" type repair.  While it can be easily that, it can also be a
> permanent and effective solution in many diverse applications.

This is one of those grey areas Bill. One thing you can be sure of, when so many
techs raise their eyebrows over things like tapping pins... CA glue, epoxy glue
and the like.. then you can be sure that such repairs have a limited range of
use. Within those limits they can often function well enough. But we are talking
about patch jobs in most cases, repairs that the owner can "live with" at need.
Ok.. sometimes this is an option,, but we should encourage strongly better
solutions... pride in an instrument.. respect for it. Why should we encourage
second best.. or tenth best for that matter ???

> Having said that, the dealer may still be reluctant to sell this piano
> because of the reasons stated on this List, even if the dealer believes it to
> be all a matter of opinion or perception.  This is a candidate for the Rental
> Piano pool.  If this piano is repaired in a way that is consistent with it's
> perceived worth and those repairs make it a useful instrument, then it is
> perfect for that kind of designated use.  There are other similar uses, a
> piano donated in exchange for publicity and a tax write-off, to a good cause,
> such as a nursing home, church or community center.  No one would ever get
> too upset in any of these cases if the piano didn't meet the usual
> expectations.

If clearly defined guidelines that are quantifiable are published with regard to
these kinds of problems, and if the PTG and other organizations are successfull
in applying these (as they most certainly would be if they put their minds to it)
then the dealer / manufacturer end of the chain would have a much smaller degree
of freedom in these regards. Bill, a brand new piano from any factory should be
free of any major problems. Period ! No cracking soundboards... no loose tuning
pins... no bridges pulling away from the board.. no actions that have extremely
poor workmanship and require major work / replacement of parts. Listen to this
last statement of yours... and think about what we are really saying when we
accept this... "No one would ever gettoo upset in any of these cases if the piano
didn't meet the usual expectations."  Shall we really let this become the rule in
such cases as churches and schools and the like ??? Shouldnt we be rather a force
for building a more positive attitude towards instruments. Churches and schools
are often centers for music, they are in reality keystone localities. If church
congragations wanted a good piano.. in 99.999 % of the time the members have
plenty of money to donate. You can bet on that. Its just that... welll... heyy..
a peice of junk is good enough... thats the reality.. and we have been sitting
back and just letting it happen.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway