Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:50:47 PST

Dear list;

  Was called to tune a 1973 Story & Clark grand just before Thanksgiving for
a party.  Found the tuning pins at all different heights and the coils were
a mess.  Customer insisted parents bought the piano new in 1973 and it had
never been restrung, so I guess it came from the factory that way? The piano
was grossly flat and it turned out the party wasn't until Dec. 11 so I
talked them into having me straighten the coils and level the pins.  I
couldn't figure out what to charge them, but since I was just about to
string a piano, thought that I would know in a few days.

  Turns out I don't string that way at all, but dress the coils after every
few pins and level after each section, so don't know how long it will take!
I would guess about 2-3 hours??  Anyone have any input on this for me?

  Thanks!
  Diane