Temperament Setting Question-correction

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 21:35:03 -0600

Bill,

Regarding what you have written, how would this bear upon the following
tuning scheme?  I am tuning in ET, practicing for the RPT exam, so apply
everything to ET if you will.

I use an F3-F4 temperament.  Expanding upwards, I use thirds, fourths,
fifths, then tenths and seventeenths, along with octave combos and octave
fifths.  Immediately out of the temperament, fifths are favored, but they
are not quite perfect, fourths have some more beat than fifths.  Thirds and
tenths progress evenly (attempted anyway).  From C7 up, I tune for the best
octave sound, checking with tenths and seventeenths and octave combos.

Expanding downwards, I tune by octaves first, listening at the 6:3 partial,
then checking with fifths first (since the fifth 3:2 partial pitch is an
octave lower than the 6:3 partial of the octave), then fourths, then thirds
and sixths, tenths, and seventeenths.  I generally favor the fifths to the
fourths, but get a smooth thirds progression.  I also use the 6:3 check, and
usually have the minor third a little slower than the major sixth.  From C2
down, I use the minor fourteenth (octave-minor seventh) to get a smooth
progression, gradually slowing as I reach A0.

Is this what you were talking about with the thirds and sixths?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

In a message dated 12/17/99 7:03:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, Billbrpt