setting temperament /color in ET

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:36:46 EST

In a message dated 12/22/99 5:49:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com (Ron Koval) writes:

<< So, be it Equal temp, any HT or even Reverse Well, it isn't good or bad,
 just different.  Yup, back to the spice analogy. I think the main objection
 to RW should only be that it is placed without intent.  I would even propose
 that in certain situation, Reverse well would be the proper choice over a
 traditional Historical temperament.  >>

Well, yes and no, mostly no.  There is such a thing as transposing a
temperament in certain, very rare instances.  Transposing to accommodate a
singer or other instrument who is at the limit of range is not helped much by
a 1/2 step transposition.  Finding another key with similar characteristics
somewhat further away than just 1/2 step will really make some difference.

The kind of difference you speak of as "color" in ET when transposing or
changing the voicing of the chord also occurs in any HT, so this kind of
distinction cannot really be thought of as the same kind of expected effects
that occur in HTs.  You can call it "color" if you like, but it is not the
same thing at all as the "color" that is clearly defined with respect to the
use of HTs.

You are absolutely right when you say that the objection to RW is that it is
done unintentionally.  Last weekend, I entertained a guest from Paris,
France.  I decided to treat him to a performance of "A Christmas Carol" at a
local theater.  I usually avoid any show that would have a piano in it at
that theater because I do not want to hear music in RW.

In general, the production was excellent but the incidental music was
shockingly ruined in my opinion by a piano tuned in a rather obvious RW.
Christmas Carols which would normally be heard in the simple keys with that
kind of expected harmony had the same kind of constant and grating harshness
that those who do not like HTs complain about.

The difference is that the harshness that occurs in the HTs is deliberate,
intended and musically appropriate.  It is just that many people have become
accustomed to not hearing that "spice", to having it neutralized out of the
music by the use of ET.  In this case, virtually every chord sounded shrill,
strident and inappropriate.  But I am sure as well, that I was probably the
only person in the audience who was really aware of exactly what the
condition was.

Still, I think it is truly tragic, if not downright ludicrous that a
performer/lecturer such as Jeffrey Siegel gives a whole series of concerts
where he talks about the music and all of the emotions that it is supposed to
evoke and proceeds to play everything in RW.  What makes matters even worse
is that both he and the tuner who tune this way think that the use of
anything but ET is inappropriate.  It ends up being a kind of musical bigotry.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin