pitch lowering

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:20:03 -0800

I like the point already made that seating strings
in prepping the  piano drops the pitch.

These new pianos will experience significant
pitch depreciation their first season.  I would consider
A442 a gift and leave them there.

I tuned new asian pianos for a local dealer for some years,
and they all required a pitch raise that first year no matter how
sharp they were to begin with.

A442 is considered a standard not far from where I live
(Montreal) as their symphony officially tunes to A442,
so some technicians in Montreal are using A442.
At the local concert hall I am often asked by traveling
Quebec artists for A442.
So It is my opinion there is no problem with brand new pianos
left slightly sharp if that is how they arrived. They will end up
at 440 soon enough.
                                            Cheers
                                            David Renaud