Help on repairs!!

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:10:38 +0100

Sounds typical of graphite in the centerpin bushings. Pull one out, and do the
same with the hammer butt flange,.... remove the center pin and see if you can
discern whether or not graphite has been used in the felt.

If so... roughen up a center pin a bit with  #80 paper (pin should be one size
smaller then what was in there to begin with) and brush up lightly the inside of
the bushing. Then work some teflon powder into the bushing. Coat your new center
pin (after sizing the bushing correctly of course) with proteck.. and you are
set.

Time consuming if you have to do all of them... Alternatively, if you want to cut
as many corners as possible... is to attempt a drop of proteck on each bushing
without removing any centers. It will most likely work right away.. whether it
will last more then a few days depends on how bad the centers really are.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway