Three questions about tuning

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 01:19:39 EST

In a message dated 12/29/99 3:32:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Mjacobucci@cs.com writes:

<<
 Related question as to pitch raising and what to tell the customer about
 pricing.  When I come upon a neglected instrument (several years since being
 tuned) I always attempt to warn the customer before hand (in fact mostly
 during the intial phone call)  that it may need several tunings in order to
 remain at pitch and in tune. One tuner in my area doesn't charge any more
for
 additional visits (I think he was burned too many times in the past) but I
 don't think this is reasonable since it is the same amount of effort for the
 repeat visits (why should the technican pay for other's neglect?).  However,

 I usually come down in price a token amount for each repeat visit (and I
tell
 the customer ASAP usually during the phone call).  It usually doesn't even
 matter to them and they have been just paying full price anyway.  Explaining
 the necessity sometimes sounds a little squirrelly though. What is the most
 honorable way to handle this?

I usually explain it this way; if you ever change a tire on your car you
tighten the lug nuts, then go through and tighten them again, because the
first lug nuts will loosen up.  By raising the pitch you need to re-tune
because the piano will drop as soon as you finish the pitch raise.  The more
you raise the pitch, the more it will drop.  That is the law of physics.  The
customer hired you to do the best tuning you can, and be at A 440 when you
finish the job.

When the phone rings, and I am asked what my tuning rate is, I tell them then
ask how long it has been since it has been serviced.  If has been say 5, 10,
15, 20, I explain the pitch raise, then advise them to expect an extra charge
if necessary. Most of time, I get the job. Of course, if they are price
shopping and want the cheap rate, they won't get me, but that is a different
story.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City. OR