Steinway reproducers

re loupgaru@acadiacom.net
Thu, 04 Feb 1999 21:41:03 -0600

I know of three models of Steinway reproducing pianos with the Aeolian Duo-Art
mechanisms.  The model numbers are: XR 6'1 3/4",  OR 6' 5" and  AR 6" 11 1/4".
These pianos were made for Aeolian by Steinway with room between the fallboard
and the pinblock for the roll mechanism which made the pianos measure much
longer.
Steinway also built pianos for Welte.  These were also built longer for the
roll mechanism between the fallboard and pinblock.  I dont know the model
numbers of these.
In the late 1930's you could order a Model S and have an AMPICO reproducing
mechanism installed after the piano was purchased.  These would have a works in
the drawer type mechanism.
This should really confuse everyone...
Randy Hayno
Madisonville, LA