Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:15:38 -0400

Before we relax our standards, we need to be clear about why some tuners
have trouble passing the temperament section of the exam.  I suspect it
is proceedure rather than technique.  They have simply failed to solve
the puzzle and perhaps need to adopt a new sequence which will give them
more information which will lock in more notes earlier.

This assumes that the task is approached with the intention of solving
the puzzle rather than applying their own artistic temperament.  Yes,
there are choices to be made that might favor fourths/fifths over thirds
or vice versa, but if done properly, those choices fall within the
current standards.

Not long ago, it was common practice to impose one's will on the piano
rather than solve the puzzle.  If a clearly unequal temperament is
acceptable under lower standards, are we not in danger of returning to
that attitude?

Then there's the subject of stretch.  Does the current exam allow for
extremes?  Should it?

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD

Sanderson/Coleman guinea pig, some twenty years ago.