Wonderwand

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:02:02 -0600

John,

The wood you are describing is closely akin to a specie called lignum
vitae which is extremely dense having a specific gravity of 1.23. The
chunk you have is worth a bit of money on today's market.

The best advice I can give you is to keep a rough sharpening stone next
to your lathe and touch up the edge of your turning tools frequently. The
most common finishing tool you will use is the skew; it looks like an
angled chisel and is easily sharpened on a stone. Also these exotic woods
are extremely oily and clog sandpaper very quickly. Keep a good supply on
hand and change your sandpaper out frequently.

I really don't know of any carbide turning tools. Do you know of a
source?

Charles Faulk