Damp chaser for loose pins

adkpiano adkpiano@breathemail.net
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:17:15 -0000

Damp Chaser systems DO NOT 'cure' loose tuning pins !!!!!
In some {not all} cases it prolongs the death of the pinblock , and other
non-essential bits like the soundboard , action bushings etc etc -  but this
is not a cure .
New tuning pins {new pinblock & some of the other remedies) cures loose
tuning pins .
The Very Rev Potter has prescribed - IMHO he's wrong ..
VERY WRONG!!!!
This is a bit like saying that Max Factor is a cure for sun burn, or that
world war III is a cure for unemployment.
Can I sit down now....?

adkpiano@breathemail.net

Alan King Mpta
> UK Tech >Scotland
In Randy Potter's course, he says that Damp Chaser systems will cure
loose tuning  pins.  Bear in mind that Randy lives in the center of
Oregon where humidity can drop to 10% in the winter.  So it's possible
that what he says will indeed work where he lives. Randy's a straight
shooter so I have no reason to doubt him.

Here in VA, humidity hits 90% or more for weeks at a time in the summer.
Even with Air Conditioning, humidty will be 60-70% inside. Therefore,
the piano surely gets humid. In the winter, humidity is about 30-35% in
most homes. So I feel that damp chasers, which maintain 45% humidity,
won't do a thing for loose pins here in VA.

Anyone have any observations on this?

P.S. I'm not knocking Randy, he's a heck of nice guy and has taught me
alot. This is just something I've been curious about for a number of
years.

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
Northern Va