voicing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:11:43 +0200

Ron Overs wrote:

> Exactly Richard! Further to this, we measure sound board crown while the
> piano is still at pitch. Placing a straight edge across the piano from
> rim rim, a series of measurements are taken measuring down from the
> straight edge to the soundboard. The straight edge is moved across the
> piano to take readings from all over the sound board. A clear indication
> of the contour of the soundboard can be ascertained.
>
> Ron Overs
> Sydney

I am wondering what kinds of decisions you make given different contour
situations with regards to the soundboard. (Aside from the obvious ones) Do
different contours effect how your stringing scales are determined ? Or do you
just make sure the soundboard is useable ?

Also.. this buisiness about bridges you mention..I wonder if you could expound
on your suspicions about the higher bridge (more mass ??) resulting in greater
sustain ? I have been pondering something about sustain in regards to
soundboard resonance frequencies, and how one would deal with it from a
perspective of figureing a new stringing scale.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway